Play Music in your Bar Legally with Control Play

Control Play saves you time and money by making your bar or restaurant’s music licensing easy.

Background music licensing for bars and restaurants can seem complicated and frustrating – but it doesn’t have to be.

When you play music in your business or any public venue, you need to think about two different fees. The first fee covers the rights to mechanically receive and play music in a commercial venue. When you subscribe to Control Play, part of your subscription fee covers access to the Managed Media Content Delivery Network. Managed Media has agreements with the major record labels and covers the mechanical rights for you to stream or receive encrypted copies of musical works for local playback in your venue.

The second fee covers the public performing rights, which you need to pay if you play music from any source including radio, a CD player, or from a subscription service like Control Play. In the United States, most public performances of music are licensed through four performing rights organizations: ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and GMR. In Canada, most public performances of music are licensed through two music rights management companies: Re:Sound and SOCAN. These PRO's are set up to act as agents for their publisher and songwriter members.

Bar & Restaurant Music Licensing with Control Play

Control Play has access to licensing agreements with ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, GMR, RESOUND, and SOCAN which authorize the performance of their catalog in certain specific ways. This authorization for performing rights is provided on an opt-in basis only, and is not included with your Control Play Subscription unless you ask for it and pay an additional fee for coverage. When performing rights licensing is purchased as an add-on to your Control Play subscription, only music provided by Managed Media which is licensed by the specific performing rights organizations is licensed for performance in your venue.

Music liscensing logos

What Doesn't My PRO Music License Cover?

Unfortunately, the performing rights licenses provided through Control Play do not give you the right to engage a Disc Jockey to play music, to hire or allow a live band to perform, provide a Karaoke service, or any other music sources such as Radio, Television, CDs, Karaoke or MP3 players.

They also do not cover you if you charge a direct or indirect admission fee (e.g. cover, minimum, or similar charge) to the premises, or where bowling, dancing, skating, cycling, aerobics, fitness or other similar activities to which music plays an integral part takes place, including specific types of venues like Roller Skating Rinks, Bowling Centers, Family Entertainment Facilities, Theme Parks and Fitness Centers.

Additionally, the license is void if you use Control Play for interactive functionality. You are also prohibited from transmitting or rebroadcasting the Control Play service outside of your venue. Performing music which falls under any of these exclusions is not authorized by Control Play’s available performing rights licenses, and will require you to obtain your own direct agreements for these uses.


Schedule a live demo, get your questions answered, and see why Control Play is a step-up from the rest!